District General Hospital (DGH), Ampara is situated in the historic area of Digamadulla. The hospital was started as a central dispensary in 1954 under the Galoya Development Project (GDP). Later the central dispensary expanded its' service after being attached with a maternity home. In 1967 the hospital was upgraded as a district hospital. Then in 1974 the hospital was upgraded as a base hospital and added a lot of health care facilities.
On 1st of January 2001, the hospital was declared as a DGH under the direct supervision of the director general of the health services. Then the hospital management was dramatically changed. Many facilities were added.
The Medical Superintendent (MS) is the CAO of the hospital and his main activity is to coordinate clinical and administrative work.
Now, DGH, Ampara provides tertiary care to entire Ampara district which consists of a population of 780,000 people.